Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Winning the Struggle... One Convert at a Time



This is a wonderfully reflective video by actor John Schneider. John was the star of The Dukes of Hazzard in the late 1970s and he still acts in movies regularly and has appeared in several episodes of the new 90210. Like me before I discovered the truth and became a vegan, Schneider thought vegans and animal rights activists were on the extreme fringe. Now he's rethinking that position. Like so many new converts to the cause, Schneider's eyes were opened by the powerful, tragic and thought-provoking documentary Earthlings. This film has converted countless individuals to animal rights and veganism. It didn't convert me - I was won over by the time I watched it. As you probably know by now, the film that moved me to this point was the HBO documentary Death on a Factory Farm. But we owe a huge debt of gratitude to the makers of Earthlings for bringing so many folks over to our side.

I am including this video of John Schneider's reflections because it is deeply touching and it gives me hope.

If he can be won over - hell, if I can be won over - our movement has hope. We're growing. We're on the move. We're winning struggle after struggle. And history is on our side. There are so many reasons to be hopeful - not fake, "whistling in the dark/don't worry be happy" hope, but genuinely hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment