Saturday, August 10, 2013

I WAS A TEST TUBE HAMBURGER!!!

For the record: I'm thrilled to hear about the new Stem Cell/Petri Dish "Frankenburgers." If there's a chance these uber-costly hamburgers might one day plummet in price and take the place of millions and millions slaughtered cows, then I say hallelujah! Bring it on!

The unveiling of Frankenburger ("It's alive! It's alive!") this past Monday in London, England, proved to be a world event. It got loads of press from around the world.

The lab-grown delicacy turned out to be a moderate hit. You'd think for $400,000 to produce one of these, it would be the best meal in the history of the human race. Unfortunately, Frankenburger seems to suffer from an "image problem."

Meat eaters still seem to be somewhat grossed out by the idea of eating something grown in a lab (sadly, few have any qualms whatsoever with the mass murder of innocent, sentient beings).

Vegetarians who've weighed in are more of a mixed lot. I've read a few online say they'd eat it, if given the chance.

I have no desire to try one of these things, chiefly because I loathe the idea of having flesh in my mouth. Eating meat - whether it's from a lab or a slaughtered animal - now seems completely unfathomable to me. I can honestly that since I gave up chicken, pork, steak, etc. etc, I haven't looked back.

Still, I wish Frankenburger every success. I support it 100%. It beats the hell out of the alternative. I'm sure the poor, terrified cows facing imminent death in slaughterhouses around the world would prefer to live their lives in freedom and bliss while human beings feast on Frankenburgers.

No animal, after all, wants to die to become a meal for hungry humans.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe this stuff could be the "gateway drug" to veganism? :-)

    ReplyDelete